Saturday, November 17, 2012

Paying attention? Huh? Pardon me?

OK, this is me.  I have realized it a lot lately.  I am starting to believe that multi tasking is not for me.  I remember reading an article awhile back (not sure as to how much research was involved though) that indicated multi-tasking could be connected to forgetfulness or further diagnosis.  For me, I believe that. 

I used to call a friend and she was constantly doing stuff in the background…washing dishes, answering her other line,  cooking (with a lot of noise), you name it.  Drove me crazy…but she said she shouldn’t be wasting time and that multi tasking is so important.  I didn’t agree then but I now do that and I don’t like it!

 Yes, three kids and working part time (some times full time) one can see how multi tasking becomes a pattern in order to maintain some form of chaos.  But I catch myself not listening to people and thinking about all the other things that I should be doing.  Kind of embarrassing though… because I get caught asking a question that by their expression…I am pretty sure they had just told me that!

But it has really hit home with me in these past couple months… my girls are getting so big, sooo fast!  I need to smarten up and really, truly give them my undivided attention.  I know that’s truly all they need, attention and love from mom and dad.  It is so easy to get caught up in work and life that we make unintentional sacrifices that will end up being very costly in the teenage years.  Because being there half-heartedly or half willingly is probably worse then actually being away at work.  Makes me think of that song “Cats in the Cradle.”

My goal is to focus on my friend, co-worker, child and husband!  My husband always said that I don’t listen and I always said that he never told me!  But I think he’s right…(shh don’t tell him that!! Hee hee) 

 My Goal: I will not overcommit, I will slow down, and I will listen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment