Friday, November 16, 2012

Baby Olympics

Raise your hand if you’re that parent who has never ever compared your baby to the one next to you at playgroup? Now be honest if you raised your hand I call bullshit and will be the first to admit that I found myself comparing my own daughter’s development to the baby next door.

We’ve been raised in this society to compete and compare and over achieve and unfortunately as parents we carry that into raising our children. I want to take a minute here and reassure each and everyone one of you, including myself, babies develop at their own pace and milestones don’t follow a certain pattern no matter what the books or your own mom has to say.
For myself this comparison really came to light when we moved back to the small town of Brownfield, AB and our daughter became one of nine babies under 1 year of age in the community. My first instinct was to brag about the new teeth, her saying mom and the copycat games we love to play. Then I noticed that the majority of the other babies were crawling. Let me share with you the pure devastation I felt when ours was ‘left behind’; I went home cried and called my mom for a little reassurance and support. After many hours of tears, loving words, and my own reading I finally calmed down and gave that amazing bundle of mine the biggest snuggle ever. A few weeks later I learned that those babies who crawled had older cousins or siblings and all they wanted to do was keep up with the pack. Given that our girl is the first for both she may not crawl as early as the rest, but I have no doubt that she will excel and be amazing at everything she tries in life and that disappointment is just a bump in the road to overcome as a family.

The most important part is to love that bundle of joy, encourage development with play and talk to your health care provider if you’re truly concerned that junior is falling behind.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment