Friday, November 23, 2012

Animals and Families…pleasant cohabitation?

How do you feel about animals and kids living together?  Many people love it and want their young children to grow up with a “furry buddy”.  So does that mean to have inside pets or outside pets?

Pets provide companionship, loyalty, trust, comfort, and valuable lessons on providing care for.  They can help kids develop self-esteem.

But, there are the constant hairballs that collect in the corners of the hall, the puke from too much grass or hairball, the dog poop (from an accident in the house) or smelly cat litter.

What are the dangers that they could pose in our environment?  Do the pros outweigh the cons?  My chocolate lab tends to “bum scoot” on our floor and it just disgusts me to no end.  It’s one thing to have the sticky handprints from my little munchkins, but my dog’s bum dragged all over.  (she has had issues all her 9 years, have seen many vets).  There was the one time they got fleas from a fox den they found in Northern AB…brought them home…made my skin crawl! 

Yes, they require extra work and commitment, but they become part of the family.  Our ten and half year old golden retriever was in our wedding photos.  My girls always ask why our dogs in the picture and not them.  She had her cruciate blown (like a knee joint) which required a costly surgery, only to have the other one blow a year later.  My point, I grumble at times for the inconveniences but I love them as family and definitely like having them when I am home alone in the country!

Pets can carry infections.  Cleanliness and pet immunizations are very important for a pleasant co-habitation.  Hand washing is always important, especially after handling a pet.  But I believe that they are beneficial for my family, but I will be the first to admit that they do lack enough exercise.  No excuses…even though I can list a ton!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment