Sunday, November 11, 2012

Lest We Forget

Remembrance day, do you tell your kids the meaning behind the poppy??

I think it’s great that starting in Kindergarden (preschool they read stories and colored poppies) our girls are learning songs and stories for their schools Remembrance Day Service.  How great is that!
 
Of course war is a controversial topic, but what happened in the past allowed us to live in this wonderful, free country!  I think it is so important to teach them about history!  Life has changed so much for them as a kid in comparison to me being a kid… life was so much simpler.  We were satisfied to play outside for hours and not “need” all the gadgets and toys.
 
All I know is that when my 7 year old complains that she is bored, I just look at her and say, “Really?  Don’t even think about saying that again!”  I understand that the complexity of war may be too much for them to understand, but teaching them that we are privileged to live in a FREE country is so important.  The other day we were talking about third world country children and they said, “Well, why can’t they just go get some food and get another mommy to look after them?!”  If only it were that easy.

 Whether or not you choose to involve your little ones in Remembrance Day Services, please do take the time to pause and remember all the sacrifices made by those men, and all the widowed wives and fatherless children.  My heart always breaks for the families left broken.

 


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment