Monday, December 10, 2012

Babyproofing

Recently on our site I asked what the most important thing you could do to childproof your home. A follower challenged this question with another question: Do you childproof your home or home proof your child? I had never thought of it this way!

The reason for posting the question was in light of the recent death of toddler who was strangled on a blind cord. There are so many things in your home that you do not realize can be a hazard until you have a child. Everything seems harmless until your little one starts to explore. I am currently paranoid that my son is going to somehow end up falling into the toilet. Ridiculous I know but it is a serious concern of mine. I do agree that it is important to take the obvious precautions- moving chemicals, etc. to places where children can’t reach them & putting up baby gates. But I am not sure how to “home proof” my child?

I envision this as a lot of yelling, stress, broken mementos, & an injured child! Do you leave up your precious items & hope your child gets the hint not to touch them? Perhaps all infants & toddlers are as persistent as my son, but we are currently battling not standing in the tub & I ashamed to say he is beating me! I can’t imagine having to constantly redirect him away from “untouchable” items. It would take up my entire day!! And I feel like I would be constantly yelling at him. But, on the other hand it would be nice not to have to pack up our lives in order to keep him safe & myself sane. I commend those who have left their home in its “pre-baby” state & managed to keep that way! I’ll keep you updated on how our battle goes… both the tub & the childproofing!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment